Current Bible Studies
Ephesians Chapter 4,
Eph 4:17, “This I say therefore, and affirm together with the Lord, that you walk no longer just as the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind.”
It begins in the Greek with a demonstrative Pronoun HOUTOS that means, “this, this one, he, or and at that.” It is translated “this” here to introduce the second half of the Chapter, but more importantly Paul’s conclusion and exhortation now that we have noted all that God has given to us and His desired goals for us in the first half of the Chapter. In other words, because we have received so many great things, “this” is how we should walk going forward.
Then we have the postpositive inferential Conjunction OUN meaning, “therefore, so, consequently or then,” which in English could come first in the sentence, but in the Greek language, it never does. It means that certain conclusions are being drawn from the previous information. It introduces Paul’s conclusion and exhortation as to how we should walk given the tremendous grace God has given to us, by resuming the exhortation of vs. 1-3.
Then we have “I say,” in the Present, Active, Indicative of LEGO to authoritatively introduce Paul’s concluding exhortation. As an apostle to the Church, he was given this authority by God to provide mandates to the Church. But he does not just rest in his laurels, he also invokes the name of the Lord, “and testify in the Lord,” KAI MARTUREO EN KURIOS.
MARTUREO μαρτυρέω means, “bear witness, be a witness, or testify.” It is in the Present, Middle, Indicative, which too adds to the view of Paul’s God given authority and it means that he too is receiving a benefit by this testimony that he is giving. It is a solemn declaration of the nature of an appeal to God. Therefore, this word means to testify, but it means more than that, it means that Paul is intellectually honest. Today we have a rise of liberalism, a rise of reversionism, in Christianity. As a result, we find people who are intellectually dishonest. There are those who are afraid to give the true explanation of a passage because it might hurt someone’s feelings and that person will leave and no longer be a member of the congregation. They are more interested in catering to people than they are in doing their job as unto the Lord. Every Pastor-Teacher must testify, and that means every time he stands in the pulpit he is under oath to tell the truth, the whole truth, so help him God, cf. Gal 4:16. Finally, this word reminds us that we are all a part of the Angelic Conflict and are to be witnesses for the Prosecution, (God), on the witness stand of the appeal trial of Satan and his fallen angels. We could translate this “I myself solemnly testify.”
“In the Lord” is the in the Instrumental Dative Case also noting the sphere in which Paul is proclaiming these things, “by means of and in the sphere of the Lord,” which also speaks to the Divine inspiration he has received to be able to communicate the mind or thinking of Jesus Christ. He is identifying himself with Christ and giving the exhortation as one made by Christ Himself, as Christ was the giver of his communication spiritual gift.
So far, we have, “Therefore, this I say (mandate) and I myself testify in the sphere of the Lord.”
Next, we have the concluding mandate, “that you walk no longer just as the Gentiles also walk.”
“That” is added to introduce the inferential concluding mandate. “You” is the personal Pronoun HUMEIS in the Second Person Plural, as he is speaking to every member of the Church. Then we have the Adverb of Negation MEKETI, which we have noted previously for “no longer, no more, or no further.” Here it means to stop doing something we were previously doing. What we are to stop doing is “to walk,” PERIPATEO in the Ingressive Futuristic Present, Active, Infinitive that is a metaphor for a certain type of lifestyle. It means, “to conduct one’s self, or order one’s behavior.” Previously in our chapter, it was used for the Christian way of life, where we learned about living according the Royal Family Honor Code in our Christian conduct. Here it is used for an ongoing lifestyle the believer in Jesus Christ is no longer to be living now, and on into the future. It means to get off that old road you have been walking on and get on to the new road of the super-grace life. It is doubly emphasized with KATHOS that means, “as, just as, to the degree that, or according as,” and KAI, “and, even, or also.” The lifestyle we are doubly not to be living is demonstrated in HO ETHNOS in the Plural for, “the Gentiles.” “Gentiles” is used several ways in scripture. In Ephesians Paul previously used it to point out that he was sent to preach God’s Word to the “non-Jews,” i.e., “the Gentiles,” and that Gentiles, when they become believers in Jesus Christ, are fellow heirs with the Jews, Eph 2:11; 3:1, 6, 8. However, sometimes it is used more harshly, as in our passage, which does not just identify an ethnic group, but instead is used to deride some as unbelievers, pagans, or heathens. Remember, the book of Ephesians is written predominately to Gentile peoples who used to have all kinds of sins, false gods, and pagan worship in their lives, and some had no religion at all. This was their “former manner of life,” Eph 4:22. As such, in our passage, Paul is calling out the pagan or even heathen lifestyle the Gentiles, “are walking,” in, which is the Customary Present, Active, Indicative of PERIPETATEO once again, to reflect the current and ongoing lifestyle of the pagan Gentiles. He is saying that these believers once lived as unbelievers, and to stop living that way going forward.
As you know, unbelievers only truly live one lifestyle, and that is one led by their Old Sin Natures, (OSN), as they function and reside inside of Satan’s cosmic system. Therefore, Paul uses the term “Gentile” here in contrast to the Christian way of life. The rest of this chapter is devoted to giving us examples or details of what the contrasting pagan lifestyle is like so that we would not live like that. In fact, we are to do the opposite of these things in order to live the Christian way of life.
We translate this portion, “that you absolutely no longer walk as the Gentiles walk,” or “that you no longer walk just as also the Gentiles walk.”
The first detail of the negative type of “walk,” unbelieving lifestyle, is also the overarching concept of doing any of the following sinful things noted in the rest of this chapter under, “in the futility of their mind,” EN MATAIOTES HO NOUS AUTOS. MATAIOTES, ματαιότης in the Dative of Sphere means, “vanity, futility, worthlessness, or depravity.” It is used here and in Rom 8:20; 2 Peter 2:18.
Rom 8:20, “For the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope.” (A reference to sin coming into the world because of Satan.)
2 Peter 2:18, “For speaking out arrogant words of vanity they entice by fleshly desires, by sensuality, those who barely escape from the ones who live in error.” (A reference to the KUBIEA; false teachers of false doctrines; teachers and doctrines of Demons, cf. Titus 3:9.)
The general sense of MATAIOTES indicates a lack of or attainment of true purpose, pertaining to being useless on the basis of being futile and lacking in content. It comes from MATAIOS, “folly, or fault,” cf. James 1:26; 1 Cor 3:20, and MATIA, “vain effort,” and can mean “deceptive, fictitious, or groundless.” MATAIOTES can also mean “in vain, ineffectual, purposeless, or pointless.”
James 1:26, “If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless.”
1 Cor 3:20, “THE LORD KNOWS THE REASONINGS of the wise, THAT THEY ARE USELESS.” Cf. Psa 94:11.
It implies a particular set of values, a false religious or moral standard, a norm by which the truth is measured, as Paul does in the rest of our Chapter. When something is MATAIOTES then, it is by implication something contrary to the norm of truth, unexpected, and something that ought not to be. In addition, it refers to something that is worthless due to its deceptive or ineffectual quality. That is what the following description of the “Gentile lifestyle” is to the believer and the Christian way of life. Paul earlier warned them of this in Acts 14:15.
It is used in the LXX in Ecclesiastes for the Hebrew HEVEL that means, “breath, vanity, worthlessness, nothingness, or even an idol.” In Ecclesiastes, Solomon is keenly aware of the futility and vanity of the human life and thought that ignores God and His Word. A tone of lamenting tragedy for the vanity of everything runs through the book as he begins and ends the book lamenting the vanity or nothingness of human life without God and His Word.
Eccl 1:1-2, “The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem. 2″Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher, “Vanity of vanities! All is vanity”.”
Eccl 12:8, “”Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher, “all is vanity!”
In contrast, he noted the import of Bible doctrine for the fulfillment of the soul and life.
Eccl 12:11-14, “The words of wise men are like goads, and masters of these collections are like well-driven nails; they are given by one Shepherd. 12But beyond this, my son, be warned: the writing of many books is endless, and excessive devotion to books is wearying to the body. 13The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. 14For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil.”
Therefore, in our verse it is used for the perverseness or depravity of mind, NOUS, νοῦς that means, “attitude, intellect, mind, thought, or understanding.” We call it the left lobe of our soul, which affects your way of life. NOUS is not merely the intellectual faculty or understanding, but also the staging area of the soul that provides the faculty for recognizing good and evil, spiritual truth or the lie. So here, MATAIOTES of the mind, (vanity, worthlessness), is a characteristic of those who are alienated from the life of God because they have no understanding of Him in their NOUS nor in their KARDIA, “heart,” the right lobe of the soul. Rom 1:18-32, also describes this type. Expositors says: “It is a description of the walk of the heathen world generally—a walk moving within the limits of intellectual and moral resultlessness, given over to things devoid of worth or reality.” (Expositors Commentary.) That is why Paul exhorts believers to live no longer as those marked by such vanity and instead live with “Christ being at home in your heart,” putting on the Christ-like nature, and living the Christian way of life.
Paul urges the Gentiles not to fall back into their old self-indulgent habits. In other words, religion, legalism, liberalism, and false doctrines and other concepts have infiltrated the souls of these reversionistic believers. They have taken on the same thought pattern of the unbelievers in their decadent society. Such permissive behavior springs from an aimless attitude to life that cuts the nerve of moral endeavor.
In addition, there is a long-standing debate about what happens to the fallen, sinful nature / OSN, of a person who becomes a Christian. For example, some individuals think it is completely eradicated at conversion. Others take a “group encounter” approach in which through a “self-discovery” or “catharsis” method they attempt to bring the sinful nature under control. The Bible clearly expresses the fact that God does not remove the OSN at salvation, but its power is broken so that the believer is no longer governed by it, though he still must grapple with it daily. Instead of removing the Adamic nature when a person becomes a believer, God places a new nature within the person, plus the indwelling Holy Spirit, Rom 8:9; 2 Cor 5:17; Gal 6:15. In fact, Rom 7, Gal 2:20; 5:13-26; Col 3:1-17, as well as many other passages, describe the constant internal warfare within the Christian between the “new nature of Christ” and the Adamic nature. Eph 4:17-32 is one of these passages.
Therefore, Paul approached the matter by first explaining the negative aspect of the process and further showing how God broke the power of the sinful nature at the person’s conversion. He first encouraged the Gentile believers not to live as they had before their conversion to Christ. They formerly lived “in the vanity of their mind,” the way pagans were living. They had lived in the sphere of the emptiness of their minds, denoting an ignorance of Divine things, a lack of knowledge that involved moral blindness. Then, he is going to explain the principle of reversionism as a frustration to spiritual growth and the attainment of the super-grace life. That leads us to an understanding of the Doctrine of Reversionism.
The Doctrine of Reversionism
1. Reversionism is the status quo of the believer in phase two who is consistently negative toward Bible doctrine. It is the decline from any of the stages of spiritual growth, even supergrace, to a state of living under the control of the Old Sin Nature, (OSN) once again. It is characterized by negative volition to doctrine, being influenced by evil, and results in perpetual carnality causing a life of perpetual discipline. In the believer, it is analogous to apostasy and synonymous to the term “backsliding.”
2. Reversionism is distinguished from carnality. Carnality simply means living under sin. The carnal believer is temporarily out of fellowship with God due to sinning in some way. This temporary state is frequently corrected in their life through the application of the confession of their sin(s) to God the Father, (i.e., Rebound), in application of 1 John 1:9. When they do, they are no longer living in carnality, (i.e., under the control of the Old Sin Nature), and regain fellowship with God. Yet, a reversionistic believer is one who is constantly living in sin and is negative toward the intake and application of Bible doctrine.
3. Because the reversionistic believer is not inclined to Rebound and instead live under sin, he is out of fellowship with God. As a result, he falls under the three stages of Divine discipline and moves ever closer to the third stage of Divine discipline called the “Sin Unto Death,” 1 Cor 12:28-32; cf. 1 John 5:16.
4. Therefore, reversionism is an act of reversing or turning in the opposite way, or a state of being so turned. As believers, we were designed to execute the Plan of God, but in reversionism, we turn the other way and cannot be distinguished from our pre-salvation status. Being in such a state, it is maximum control of the Old Sin Nature over the life of the believer so that the believer functions under the dictates of the sin nature exactly as he did as an unbeliever. As a result, they are believers thinking in terms of human viewpoint and in the process, they revert to a former state, habits, beliefs, or practices of pre-salvation sinning. They reverse their priorities, attitudes, affections, and personality. Inside the cosmic system, you completely change your personality.
5. Finally, reversionism is lack of spiritual growth, failure to attain the three stages of spiritual adulthood, (Spiritual Self-Esteem, Spiritual Autonomy, and Spiritual Maturity), and failure to live the super-grace life, which otherwise is God’s plan and desire for our lives.
6. There is also reversionism for the unbeliever, described in 2 Peter 2:17-22, in which the unbeliever departs from the laws of Divine establishment to a condition of total apostasy and liberalism. The mechanics of this reversionism include rejection of the gospel, which opens the floodgates for satanic propaganda in the soul, i.e., the dog returning to his vomit.
7. Biblical nomenclature for reversionism.
Jer 9:25-26, “Uncircumcised of heart.”
John 15:23, “He who hates me, (Jesus Christ), also hates my Father.”
Gal 5:4, “Fallen from (drifting off course from) grace.”
Phil 3:18, “The enemy of the Cross.”
1 Tim 1:19, “Shipwrecked.”
2 Tim 2:26, “They have entered the devil’s trap.”
Heb 12:15, “Come short of (falling from) grace,” means total malfunction of any grace mode of operation, and total ignorance of the grace policy of God and His Plan.
1 Peter 5:8, “Your adversary, the devil, prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” “Devouring” is accomplished when you change your priorities by reverse process reversionism.
2 Peter 2:7-8, “The tortured soul.”
2 Peter 2:14, “The unstable soul.”
Rev 2:4, “Left your first love.”
Rev 2:5, “Fallen.”
Rev 3:15-16, “Lukewarm.”
8. The Profile of the reversionist is found in Psa 7:14-16.
B. Eight stages of reversionism that the apostate believer falls into.
1. Reversionism in the Christians life is first motivated by “reactor factors”. Therefore, the first stage in reversionism is the “Reaction Stage.”
The reaction stage means that there are things in your soul that lead you to have an initial negative volition towards God. That initial negative volition towards God intensifies and leads to negative volition toward His Word that causes you to neglect it. Neglect of Bible doctrine, indifference, or sporadic interest followed by indifference to the Word of God results in even more reactor factors in the soul. These reactor factors include discouragement, boredom, disillusion, self-pity, failure to handle loneliness, and various frustrations. All of these are basic reactor factors in the life. You think in terms of one or more of these things and your thought pattern is one of frustration, and from frustration comes mental attitude sins. To solve the frustration, rather than turning to God, you turn to other things to satisfy yourself. This leads to also reacting negatively towards Bible doctrine and the one who teaches Bible doctrine. Cf. Rom 12:2-3; 1 Tim 6:3-4.
Others reaction factors include disasters of one type or another, adverse circumstances, being jilted, etc., where you are not able to cope. The presence of reactor factors in your life combined with difficulties in your life, combined with indifference or lack of exposure to Bible teaching, causes the reactor factors to have a negative influence over your life. Reaction that sets leads to the second stage of reversionism.
2. The second stage is the “Frantic Search for Happiness.” This is reaction to the reactor factors. The frantic search for happiness follows the pattern of the Old Sin Nature’s (OSN) trends, where you seek out pleasures and happiness in the world to overcome the frustrations in your soul, 2 Tim 3:4-5; Heb 13:5. The OSN has a trend toward lasciviousness and a trend toward asceticism. In both cases, a lustful pattern urges them towards these trends in the pursuit of happiness, which is a false and fleeting form of happiness. The reaction factors will take them in one or the other of these trends.
a. If the trend is toward asceticism, your lust pattern is toward approbation, (the praise and approval of others), then you become a holy roller and enter into religion and legalism as a counterfeit to the Christian way of life. Religion and legalism are one type of the frantic search for happiness as you try to win your way into heaven, win God’s approval of you and subsequent blessing, or win the affection of others. Unfortunately, the person involved is a reversionist, but often construed by other ascetic reversionists as being a great believer. This person is looking for the praise and approval of others in an attempt to overcome their unhappiness. They have accepted a substitute for true Bible doctrine and they are trying to compensate for the reactor factors in their life,
b. The other type is the person with the trend toward lasciviousness, (i.e., immorality, lustfulness, wanton, lewd, etc.), where your lust pattern is towards antinomianism, (without law), in which a person goes out into debauchery, seduction, mischief making, etc., looking to gain happiness from stimulation and exhilaration. This is a little more obvious but no different in degree from the other frantic search for happiness. They are looking to gain happiness through drugs, alcohol, sex, criminal activity, and other types of immorality.
In both searches for happiness, they are looking to replace the true happiness that comes from God and His Word in your soul with the things of this world, cf. Phil 4:11-13; 1 Tim 6:6-12. The frantic search for happiness immediately leads to a third stage of reversionism.
3. The third stage is the intensification of reversionism, the intensification of the reactor factors. When this happens, there is a greater frustration than previously and it results in “Operation Boomerang” in which the frantic search intensifies the original reactor factors. As the reversionistic believer searches to gain happiness in their life, other than through God and His Word, they soon find the happiness from asceticism and lasciviousness brings no happiness or a fleeting one at best, Heb 11:25.
Heb 11:25, “Choosing rather to endure ill-treatment with the people of God, than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin.”
This frustrates them further and instead of turning to God, they react and chase after the things of this world and Satan’s cosmic system more intently, leading to frantic behavior in order to obtain happiness. As a result, those “other things,” easily become an addiction in their life, not just chemically but mentally. When the frantic search for happiness boomerangs, frustration becomes greater frustration, misery becomes greater misery, and unhappiness becomes intensified unhappiness. Every search for happiness makes happiness more elusive. Therefore, the believer is bored, disillusioned, frustrated, and miserable. Pleasure, social and sexual distractions, and drug addiction only intensifies his problem in life. The same intensification of problems occurs with the distractions of the morally degenerate believer. All these only remove the believer farther away from true happiness. Operation boomerang gone unchecked leads to the fourth stage of reversionism.
4. The fourth stage is “Emotional Revolt of the Soul.” The emotion of the soul is designed to respond to the right lobe of your soul, the heart. The right lobe is where you do your thinking. It has a frame of reference, a memory center, vocabulary, categories, norms and standards, and a launching pad. Emotion was designed to respond, it is the right woman of the soul. The heart is the right man of the soul.
The emotion is designed to respond to the right lobe or the heart that is filled with Bible doctrine, but when the frantic search for happiness boomerangs and still there is no true happiness, the emotion starts a revolt in the soul, which further frustrates and confuses the reversionist. This fourth stage is the stage of confusion. Instead of turning to God and His Word, the soul revolts against it. Once there is a revolt, all of the compartments of the right lobe begin to shut down destroying the function of doctrine in that area. As a result, their life is now run by their emotions and they are always trying to satisfy their emotions with their actions or material things. At the same time, they are hypersensitive about themselves and people’s interactions with them, either positive or negative, which leads to having a life on an emotional rollercoaster, cf. Rom 16:17-18; 2 Cor 6:11-12. This leads to the fifth stage of reversionism.
5. The fifth stage is “Permanent Negative Volition Toward Doctrine” that becomes very pronounced. Because of the reactor factors, the frantic search for happiness, the intensification of these things in operation boomerang, and the emotional revolt of the soul, negative volition is now characterized by several things:
a. Indifference or apathy to Bible teaching.
b. Being so occupied with the things of life that there is no time for Bible teaching.
c. Antagonism or personality hang-ups regarding the Bible teaching and/or the Pastor-Teacher.
d. Antagonism or conflict with others in the congregation.
e. Failure to utilize the Rebound technique, and under lack of the filling of the Spirit permitting reactor factors in the life, or in permitting their intensity.
f. Inability to handle prosperity; spiritual, temporal and blessing by association. There is often in the life some type of prosperity, sometimes a blessing from God, sometimes something else. There is an inability to handle that prosperity and therefore a decline in the intake of the Word of God.
g. The early patterns of reversionism, (i.e., reaction, frantic search for happiness, emotional revolt of the soul), are permitted to continue by the volition of the soul. In other words, you can do what you want to do and it does not matter.
Therefore, intensified negative volition at this point becomes a factor that leads to other factors.
6. The sixth stage is found in our verse, Eph 4:17-18. This is an attack on the left lobe or the NOUS. It is called “The Blackout of the Soul,” which is an attack upon the left lobe, NOUS – mind, only. It leads to an attack upon the right lobe, KARDIA – heart, which is “scar tissue on the soul,” Eph 4:19, but the blackout is an attack upon the mind or the NOUS. Blackout of the Soul is the result of negative volition toward God’s Word that produces an emptiness or void in your soul, called in the Greek MATAIOTES. The Apostle John describes Blackout of the Soul in, John 12:35; 1 John 1:6; 2:11. When there is a void, a vacuum occurs that sucks in other things from Satan’s cosmic system including doctrines of demons, 1 Tim 4:1, false doctrines, world and human viewpoint, 2 Cor 4:3. This vacuum is the source of setting up all the false viewpoints of life. It is known as demon influence in contrast to demon possession. (Remember the believer cannot be possessed by a demon, but he can be influenced by them.) When you get all of these false doctrines, false concepts, into the staging area of your brain called the mind, NOUS, they immediately move over to the right lobe/heart, KARDIA, and therefore the Blackout of the Soul becomes a general thing. So blackout means being devoid of Bible doctrine in your mind or NOUS and instead filled with false doctrines, concepts, world and human viewpoint. Because you are not taking in any Bible doctrine, your thoughts are being filled and overwhelmed with the garbage of Satan’s cosmic system. This leads to the seventh stage of reversionism.
7. The seventh stage is “Scar Tissue of the Soul.” Just as Blackout of the Soul attacks the left lobe, scar tissue attacks the right lobe. As noted above, various compartments make up the heart for you to store and apply God’s Word. When there is no doctrine coming into your soul through the left lobe, the NOUS, the other garbage comes in and fills up the various compartments of the right lobe or heart. As a result, there is a destroying of the true norms and standards of the Word of God in your soul. Vocabulary and categories change and human viewpoint is on the launching pad rather than God’s Word, making personal applications resulting in subjectivity, hypersensitivity and emotionalism the rule of the day, Eph 4:18. Because of making overt applications of cosmic viewpoint rather than Divine viewpoint, you become a casualty in the intensified stage of the Angelic Conflict, become a loser believer and cause yourself many problems and difficulties in life. The Scripture calls Scar Tissue of the Soul “hardness of heart, hardening of the neck, or hardening of the face.”
a. “Hardening the heart” is found in John 14:20; Rom 2:5.
b. “Hardening the neck” is found in Neh 9:16-17. This is insubordinate to the point of revolt. It is failure to be authority oriented in spiritual things, Jer 7:25-27.
c. “Hardening the face” is found in Prov 21:29-31.
Scar tissue of the soul is the status of cosmic involvement, and therefore a violation of 1 John 2:15.
Therefore, scar tissue is the result of the Blackout of the Soul in which the believer adopts satanic worldly viewpoint about everything in life, to their determent. This leads to the eighth stage of reversionism.
8. The eighth and last stage is “Reverse Process Reversionism,” in contrast to super-grace being the final stage of spiritual growth. This final stage of reversionism is the exact antithesis of super-grace in which the believer loves and desires the opposite of what the Bible commands. It is a reversal of the objects of true love for the believer. The object of true love is the Lord Jesus Christ. We were designed to love Jesus Christ who is the King of kings. We are members of His Royal Family. Therefore, we replace the love of Jesus Christ with something else and this becomes the reversal. Interest in Bible doctrine is now replaced by other things to the neglect of doctrine. Interest in other things is legitimate provided you are on the road to super-grace, but these things replace doctrine as interests in your life. Reverse process reversionism is the area in which the believer dies the Sin Unto Death.
The believer in this stage is described in several ways.
a. The enemy of God, James 4:4.
b. The enemy of the Cross, Phil 3:18.
c. A hater of God, John 15:23.
d. Spiritual schizophrenia, “double-minded,” James 4:8.
e. Anti or against Christ, 1 John 2:18, 22, 4:3; 2 John 7.
f. Disciple of the devil, 1 John 3:8, 10.
In any and all stages, the reversionist cannot be distinguished from the unbeliever in mental attitude, their way of life, motivation, and their method of operation. The reversionistic believer is under demon influence where the soul is infiltrated by false doctrine, called the “doctrine of demons.” This comes through the vacuum of the mind. Reversionism is a simple means of explaining that there are degrees of failure in the Christian life, just as there are degrees of success.
Here we have a description of the results of having MATAIOTES, a soul devoid of God’s Word. In this verse, we are given two results, along with two more reasons, why some are devoid of God Word.
Eph 4:18, “Being darkened in their understanding, excluded from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardness of their heart.”
1. The first result of MATIOTES is “Being darkened in their understanding.”
“Being,” comes after the first phrase and should not be translated here.
“Darkened” is the Verb SKOTOO, σκοτόω that means “to darken or obscurity,” in the Perfect, Passive, Participle, Nominative Plural. It is used here and in Rev 9:2; 16:10. In classical Greek, it also means, “blind or stupefy,” that means to make somebody unable to think clearly because of boredom, laziness, tiredness, etc. The KJV, using the Textus Receptus as a basis, uses the Hellenistic verb SKOTIZO that also means, “to be darkened, or to be blinded.” The Complete Biblical Library notes, “It is used in a figurative sense to describe the mental and spiritual incapacity of perverse people to understand Divine truth, (Romans 1:21; 11:10; Ephesians 4:18). This obtuseness is caused by a deliberate rejection of the truth in favor of an earthly system characterized by immorality and deception. The result is that the ability to discern between truth and error, or good and evil, is lost. People in that condition are not merely in darkness; they are darkness.”(Complete Biblical Library Greek-English Dictionary).
Remember that there is no such thing as “darkness.” It is actually the absence light. So “being darkened” means they do not have the light of Jesus Christ in their soul, cf. 1 John 1:5-8.
1 John 1:5-8, “And this is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. 6If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; 7but if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. 8If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us.”
The Intensive Perfect Tense is for completed past action with emphasis on the present state. Because of their rejection of God and His Word in the past, they have entered into reversionism in the past with the result that they have no comprehension of God and His Word in the present.
The Passive Voice says, they receive the action of being without understanding of the things of God due to their previous rejection of His Word and the resultant hardening of their hearts. Due to their own past action of rejection of God and His Word, it resulted in ignorance, losing all sensitivity to the spiritual life, and becoming addicted to sensuality and every kind of impurity, vs. 19, as they are led by their emotions rather than their intellect by means of Bible Doctrine.
“Having become Darkened” is linked with “in their understanding,” which is the Dative of HO DIANOIA, διάνοια that means, “mind, understanding, intellect, feelings, or disposition.” This is the action of “thinking” of the NOUS, the mind. The NT associates it with the internal ability of man to express thoughts, desires, and feelings. It is used here in reference to the mind, NOUS, as the seat of understanding, having discernment, and thinking. Combined with “having become darkened” it means the mentality of their soul is devoid of the mind of Jesus Christ with the result that the light of Jesus Christ is nonexistent mentally or spiritually in their life. This is what we call “black out of the soul” that also leads to “scar tissue,” or “callous” of the soul, as we will see below.
Therefore, “having become darkened in their thinking,” describes the result of MATAIOTES; the opening of the vacuum in your soul that sucks in false doctrines and information where you become devoid of God’s Word in your soul. It means that they have darkness or evil in their thinking, which is the opposite of light and righteousness. There is no objective type thinking, there are no objective type opinions, and there is no dogmatic understanding and reality of God’s Word in the left lobe, NOUS, of the soul. Therefore, they instead have subjectivity, hypersensitivity, guilt reaction to hypersensitivity, and indifference to others. Instead they go all out for those of the world who are messed up and confused people, living inside of Satan’s Cosmic system. This leads us to understand the “Blackout of the Soul,” which I last taught in 2013, when we were in the book of Proverbs.
The Doctrine of the Blackout of the Soul.
1. Blackout of the soul is the inevitable result of Emotional Revolt of the Soul and locked in negative volition to Bible doctrine. It begins with the creation of a vacuum, MATAIOTES, in the stream of consciousness of the left lobe of the soul. This vacuum creates a system of suction that attracts into the soul the emotional and arrogance complex of sins. The Blackout of the Soul immobilizes previously metabolized Bible doctrine and is the status of the believer with negative volition to Bible doctrine, which results in his involvement with sin and the cosmic system. Therefore, it is the status of the believer who has had negative volition toward Bible doctrine over a prolong period of time, as a results of his involvement with Satan’s cosmic system, Mat 6:22-24; 1 Tim 4:1-2.
1 Tim 4:1-2, “But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times (Church Age) some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, 2by means of the hypocrisy of liars (false teachers of false doctrines) seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron.”
2. Blackout of the Soul is a result and consequence of loving Satan’s cosmic system, 1 John 2:15.
1 John 2:15, “Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.”
It is the result of negative volition towards the Word of God due to the arrogance complex of sins that leads to negative volition in the form of antagonism toward God’s Word. This believer is preoccupied with self and has a predilection for erroneous human thinking, which conflicts, with Bible doctrine. Therefore, the Blackout of the Soul is that state of reversionism in which the mentality of the soul is directly influenced by Satan and doctrine of demons, plus everything that is anti-God and anti-establishment. It is the direct result of persistent negative volition toward doctrine regardless of how that negative volition is expressed.
3. When these things occur, the believer cuts himself off from truth and eventually forgets any truth he has learned in the past. Blackout of the Soul immobilizes previously metabolized Bible doctrine. Rejection of the content of Bible doctrine is usually the secondary result of negative volition; the primary reason is preoccupation with self or others.
4. Mechanics of the Blackout of the Soul is the result of all previous 5 stages of reversionism. as noted above. It is directly related to the opening of MATAITOTES, the vacuum in the left lobe. It results first from the “Reactor Factors” in the life, discouragement, boredom, disillusion, overcome with self-pity, unable to handle loneliness, frustration, plus the mental attitude sins of bitterness, jealousy, vindictiveness, etc. These result in a “Frantic Search for Happiness,” which in turn causes “Emotional Revolt of the Soul,” which in turn emphasizes more “Negative Volition”, which is apathy or indifference to Bible doctrine that takes second or last place in your life. Negative volition is followed by the opening of a vacuum that attacks the NOUS or the left lobe, and as false doctrine and false principles move through this vacuum, the general condition is the Blackout of the Soul. The Blackout of the Soul, then, mechanically is a combination of Reactor Factors, Frantic Search for Happiness, Emotional Revolt, and Permanent Negative Volition toward Bible doctrine, 1 Tim 4:1-2. In addition, the mechanics of Blackout of the Soul includes, “Grieving the Holy Spirit,” Eph 4:30, and/or “Quenching the Holy Spirit,” 1 Thes 5:19.
5. Blackout of the Soul in the stream of consciousness is described four ways.
a. “Darkened in their way of thinking,” Eph 4:17-18. Here we see Blackout of the Soul being the result of the “hardening of their heart.” This is prolonged negative volition in the soul, building up scar tissue that leads to black out of the soul.
b. “Walking in darkness,” 1 John 2:11.
c. “The darkness has blinded his eyes,” 1 John 2:11.
d. “He who walks in darkness does not know where he is going,” John 12:35.
As you know, Satan’s kingdom is one of darkness, Eph 5:11, 6:12; Col 1:13, and since the cosmic system is called a “domain of darkness,” those believers who reside and function in it are said to, “walk in darkness,” this is the basis for the term “Blackout of the Soul,” 1 John 1:6; 2:11.
John 12:35, “Walk while you have the light that darkness may not overtake you. He who walks in darkness does not know where he is going.”
“Walking in darkness” also means this believer is full of human viewpoint, false teaching, and erroneous ideas called “doctrines of darkness,” because Satan’s kingdom is a kingdom of darkness.
Col 1:13, “For He delivered us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son.”
The result is darkness in the soul.
2 Peter 1:9, “For he who lacks these qualities, (virtues of AGAPE love), is blind or short-sighted, (Blackout of the Soul), having forgotten that he has been purified / cleansed from his former sins.”
In addition, in Luke 6:39-45, Blackout of the Soul is seen as being constantly critical of others. All believers in Blackout of the Soul are hypocritical of others and therefore hypocrites.
6. In 2 Cor 3:14; 4:4; 11:3 the Greek word NOEMA is used in regard to the corrupt thinking of reversionism that leads to the Blackout of the Soul and thus darkness in their thinking. It is used only by Paul in the NT for:
a. The minds of Jews that are hardened by unbelief, 2 Cor 3:14.
b. The minds of the lost that are blinded by Satan, 2 Cor 4:4.
c. The minds of Christians that may be “corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ,” 2 Cor 11:3.
d. The thoughts of Christians that should be brought into the obedience of Christ, 2 Cor 10:5.
e. The “devices,” schemes or plots of Satan by which he takes advantage of people, 2 Cor 2:11.
7. This type of thinking spreads throughout the soul, leading to Blackout of the Soul. Coexistent with it, is an attack on the right lobe, the heart, (KARDIA), and this attack is called “hardness of heart” or “callous” / “scar tissue” of the soul. When Blackout of the Soul hits the heart, it becomes scar tissue or hardness of the heart. As a result of involvement with the cosmic system, scar tissue builds up on the right lobe of the soul replacing the doctrine that was once there, Eph 4:17-19.
8. There is another noun for irrational foolish thinking in the Blackout of the Soul, ANOETOS, an Adjective that means, “foolishness or senseless,” in Luke 24:25; Gal 3:1, 3; 1 Tim 6:9; Titus 3:3. The word indicates the type of thinking the believer has at the point of Blackout of the Soul.
9. The result of Blackout of the Soul is twofold.
a. First, a continuation of reversionism through the practice of reverse process reversionism, 2 Cor 11.
b. Second, Divine discipline that can lead to maximum Divine discipline called, “The Sin Unto Death,” James 5; 1 Cor 11:30; 1 John 5:16.
10. The solution to the Blackout of the Soul is found in another noun METANOIA that comes from the verb, METANOEO. They are translated “Repentance and repent,” and mean a change of mind. Actually, they are a combination of change of attitude toward Bible doctrine resulting in the intake of doctrine and getting back under the Word. Heb 6; Eph 3:16-21. Technically, then, Blackout of the Soul, while it applies to the left lobe, has an effect upon the right lobe, KARDIA, and the solution is the reversion recovery concept of Rebound and recovery, 1 John 1:9, i.e., repentance. Blackout of the soul demands that if we are to recover the ministry of God the Holy Spirit, it is necessary for us to understand Rebound as the Problem-Solving device for Blackout of the Soul, 1 John 1:6-9.
a. False doctrine, false standards, false criteria, flow from the left lobe or mentality of the soul.
b. The result of flooding the soul with these things is subjectivity, pseudo-sensitivity, hypersensitivity, frustration, unhappiness, etc., and it affects the right lobe with scar tissue or hardness of heart.
c. The Frantic Search for Happiness continues with slavery to the details of life becoming more pronounced.
d. The way of life is a state of apostasy, which combines with scar tissue to produce pathological, neurotic, or psychotic thought, which eventuates in behavior patterns reflecting these things.
e. These things become more pronounced through the various stages of discipline to the reversionist, such as the warning stage, the intensification stage, and they reach their culmination in the sin unto death.
f. The solution to Blackout of the Soul is to change your way of thinking called, “repentance,” from cosmic viewpoint to Divine viewpoint, which begins with Rebounding, 1 John 1:9, and then recovery to take in God’s Word and walk in the light of Jesus Christ once again.
Eph 5:8, “For you were formerly darkness, but now you are light in the Lord; walk as children of light.”
2 Cor 4:6, “For God, who said, “Light shall shine out of darkness,” is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.”
1 Peter 2:9, “But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God’s OWN POSSESSION, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.”
Rom 13:12, “The night is almost gone, and the day is at hand. Let us therefore lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.”
Eph 5:13, “But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light.”
1 John 2:10, “The one who loves his brother abides in the light and there is no cause for stumbling in him.”
1 Thes 5:5, “For you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night nor of darkness.”
Col 1:12, “Giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.”
2. The second result of MATAIOTES is that they are “Excluded from the life of God.”
If you have Blackout of the Soul, if your thoughts are darkness rather than light, then the result becomes quite obvious, you have a further damaging result of MATAIOTES, which is “excluded from the life of God,” EIMI APALLOTRIOO HO ZOE HO THEOS, which is “being alienated from the life of God.”
EIMI is used here in the Stative Present, Active, Participle, that should be translated “being” at this point and not at the beginning of this verse. It means the state that the reversionistic believer is in, which is now a continual intensified ongoing action. It tells us that these “Gentiles” or better, unbelievers are performing the action of the verb due to the past and now present rejection of God and His Word in their life.
Because of their negative volition toward God, His Word, and the gospel of Jesus Christ, they are in this state of being, “excluded from,” which is the Verb APALLOTRIOO, ἀπαλλοτριόω that means, “to estrange or alienate.” It is used here and in Eph 2:12; Col 1:21, as Paul reminds these believers of the former life they had separated from Christ, which is the type of lifestyle all unbelievers live, as well as reversionistic believers. In Scripture, we see APALLATRIOO used in three ways, 1) Of being estranged from the citizenship of Israel; 2) Estrangement from life in God; and 3) Estrangement from God Himself, having become His enemy.
In our passage, this word is used to compare the life that the reversionistic believer has with God, with that of the unbeliever, who does not have a relationship with Him at all. In contrast, the positive believer who is going forward in the plan of God does have a life with God. Therefore, we could say that this is the “Get a Life” warning passage.
APALLOTRIOO is used here, like “darkened” above, in the Perfect, Passive, Participle, Nominative, Plural. The Intensive Perfect tense emphasizes the results or present state produced by their past actions of rejecting the gospel of Jesus Christ, God, and His Word. Therefore, because of the past action of negative volition towards God’s Word, they are presently in a state of being estranged or alienated from a relationship with God.
The Passive voice says that they receive this alienation due to their negative volition. So, just as the unbeliever experiences this alienation from a relationship with God, so too does the believer who is in reversionism. Even though positionally the believer has been entered into the Royal Family of God, due to his negative volition he does not experience or walk in it. The Nominative Participle emphasizes the experiential state the reversionistic believer is in.
The estrangement here is “from the life of God,” HO ZOE HO THEOS. As an unbeliever, we are led purely by our Old Sin Natures, (OSN), and had no relationship with God experientially; we had no life with God. We were excluded from that life. But now, because of Christ’s sacrifice, peace has been rendered between God and man, and now man can have a life or relationship with God through faith in the Cross of Jesus Christ. Thus, alienation has been replaced by peace initiated by God who, “came and preached peace to you who were far away, and peace to those who were near,” Eph 2:17. This peace means the believer has a life or relationship with God both positionally and experientially.
The warning here is that the believer can lose the experiential side of the equation, if he falls into reversionism with the result of MATAIOTIES, “black out of the soul.” Therefore, in reversionism, the believer has no life or experiential relationship with God, just as the unbeliever has no life or relationship with Him positionally or experientially. Because there is no Bible Doctrine in the soul of the reversionistic believer, they cannot have an experiential relationship with Him, because they do not know nor understand Him.
R.B. Thieme Jr. noted, “This means that all the time that you are a member of the Royal Family, all of the time that you have eternal life, all of the time that God is tapping His foot waiting to provide supergrace blessings, you have estranged yourself from the life of God provided for you on earth. The life of God is Bible doctrine. The life of God is everything worthwhile related to doctrine. The life of God is the ECS and the entrance into the supergrace life. The believer in reversionism is totally estranged from that.”
Col 1:21, “And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds.”
A life alienated from God is reflected by living a life of sin rather than a life of holiness and righteousness through application of Bible doctrine in your soul. Therefore, the “estrangement from the life of God,” is the result of the OSN that leads the unbeliever in rebellion and alienation to God, as well as the believer. Even though Christ has made and brought peace, Eph 2:17, unbelievers have rejected that peace and remain estranged to Him positionally and experientially. Likewise, reversionistic believers live experientially this way, having no relationship or power in the spiritual life because they have no Bible doctrine in their soul, i.e., “Blackout of the Soul.”
Next, we have two further reasons or factors for having MATAIOTES, which are primary and secondary causes of reversionism that result in having no doctrine in the left lobe of the soul, “Blackout of the Soul,” making it impossible to experience the true spiritual life that only comes from God.
1. The first reason for having MATAIOTES and a primary cause of reversionism is, “because of the ignorance that is in them.”
Here the primary cause is noted using the Causal Preposition DIA with the Accusative that means, “because of, on account of, or for the sake of, though, by, etc.” Then we have HO AGNOIA, ἄγνοια that means, “ignorance or lack of knowledge,” used also in Acts 3:17; 17:30; 1 Peter 1:14. It is the Greek negative Prefix “A” with a cognate of GNOSIS, “knowledge,” so it means without knowledge or being ignorant. Remember that ignorance can be due to a lack of knowing or understanding something, or a willful choice to reject or ignore something. In the latter sense, it is tantamount to disobedience. Here, it emphasizes a little of both. These unbelievers have willfully ignored the Gospel of Jesus Christ that results in a lack of knowledge and understanding of His Word, because they are unable to comprehend it. As a result, they live their lives under the control of the OSN, not knowing how to live righteously unto God.
By way of comparison to believers, the believer has come to know Christ and His Word, but is willfully rejecting its application. Because of their reversionism, Blackout of the Soul sets in and Bible Doctrine is no longer circulating through their souls, which leads to further and further disobedience to God and His Word. Therefore, “ignorance” is a condition apart from Christ and His Word, and it characterizes someone’s past life in sin and disobedience.
1 Peter 1:14, “As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance.”
This ignorance is HO EIMI EN AUTOS, translated “that is in them,” in the Customary Present Tense and Active Voice of EIMI that means this is habitually going on inside the soul of the unbeliever and reversionistic believer. They willfully have a lack of knowledge or understanding of God and His Word in the mentality of their soul and therefore, are unable to apply it to their lives resulting in disobedience to God and further reversionism.
2. The second reason for having MATAIOTES and a secondary cause of reversionism is, “because of the hardness of their heart.”
Here we have the Causal Preposition DIA, “because of,” once again, which introduces the secondary cause of reversionism and the Blackout of the Soul, which at the same time is the result of reversionism and Blackout of the Soul. So, we see the negative cyclical effect of reversionism.
With this, we have the Accusative of the Article HO and the Noun POROSIS πώρωσις that means, “callousness, dullness, stubbornness, or lack of feeling.” In classical Greek it was used to indicate both a literal and a metaphoric understanding related to the verb POROO, which means, “to cause a stone to form,” e.g., a kidney stone, or “to petrify, harden.” Metaphorically the verb means, “to harden (one’s senses), or to make callous.” As you may know, a callus is either hardened skin tissue or a mass of fibrous tissue, calcium, cartilage, and bone that forms progressively during the healing of a bone fracture that can be called, “scar tissue.”
POROSIS appears three times in the NT, and in each case a metaphoric sense of the word is present regarding the hardening of the heart or scar tissue on the soul, Mark 3:5; Rom 11:25; and our verse. Paul described the alienation from God of both Jews and Gentiles in terms of their “hardness,” i.e., their “stubbornness,” because they were unwilling to give up their ungodly ways or to acknowledge God’s Messiah; Jesus Christ.
From the verb POROO that also means, “make hard, become stubborn, blind, or cover with a callus,” all are in view regarding the spiritual life in rejection of God and His Word. So we should translate this, “the callousness or scar tissue,” as this is where “callous” should be translated as it is in vs. 19 with a different Greek word, APALGEO, a hapax legomenon that means, “Without pain, feeling no pain, unfeeling, callous, or numb.” which we will note below.
With this, we have the Genitive of HO KARDIA AUTOS, “of their heart,” the place of the hardening. “Heart,” meaning the right lobe of the soul, is the place that gets calloused or hardened off, which means it is not cycling God’s Word through it and instead is cycling sin and cosmic viewpoint to the point of being adverse to Bible Doctrine.
Because the left lobe, (mind), is not receiving Bible Doctrine, (hardened – Blackout of the Soul), the right lobe, (heart), is not storing it for application, with the addition of adverse erosion of previously stored doctrine, (callous – scar tissue on the soul).
When something is hard, as say an artery, it is hard for blood to circulate through it. The harder the artery becomes, the more likely blood flow will cease and cause death. Well, if the heart is hardened, Bible doctrine will not flow through the soul with the result of killing off the spiritual life of the believer experientially.
So combined, these two causes mean a state or condition of complete lack of understanding, dullness, insensibility, and obstinacy toward God and His Word so that it is no longer cycling through their soul, resulting in Blackout of the Soul and a life that is disobedient to God.
These unbelievers and reversionistic believers are ignorant toward God and His Word because they had hardened their hearts against God. The hardening of their hearts led to a condition of callousness that made it impossible for them to experience the true unique spiritual life of the Church Age that comes only from God and His Word. Therefore, because of a lack of knowing God, “ignorance,” the first cause of reversionism, it leads to an intensified stage or secondary cause of reversionism, “hardness of the heart,” which lead to further “Black out of the Soul” and being excluded from experiencing the unique spiritual life for the Church Age believer that is of God.
This passage describes the flow, or better the lack of flow of God’s Word in the life of the unbeliever as an example of what the reversionistic believer also experiences. For the believer, the Word of God first comes into the mind or NOUS, (left lobe of the soul), as they learn it. This Word is then cycled to the heart or KARDIA, (right lobe of the soul), where it is stored and applied towards God and man. Yet, when MATAIOTES sets in, due to living inside of Satan’s cosmic system, as a result of being led by your OSN, it first negatively effects the left lobe of your soul, (mind-NOUS), as you stop taking in, (learning about), God and His Word. This causes “darkness in the thinking” that means there is no Bible doctrine coming into the left lobe and being passed along to the right lobe of your soul, (heart-KARDIA). When no doctrine is coming into the heart, other things like sin and worldly satanic viewpoint come in and replace any previous doctrine that was in the heart. This in turn develops callouses on the heart called “Hardness of the Heart” or “Scar Tissue on the Soul,” which means it becomes more and more difficult for God’s Word to enter the heart and be applied from the heart of your soul. It means that God’s Word is choked out of our soul. As a result, further “Blackout” of the left lobe of the soul occurs resulting in further “Scar Tissue” on the right lobe of the soul. In other words, the soul is darkened in its thinking that leads to hardness in the heart that leads to further darkness in its thinking, and so on. This is the negative downward spiral of reversionism that leads a believer further and further away from experiencing life here on earth with God, thereby not achieving or experiencing spiritual adulthood and the supergrace life described in Eph 3:13-16.
That leads us to The Analogy of the Hardness or Callousness of the Heart to the Spiritual Life.
As you know, rarely does the Bible use KARDIA for the blood-pumping physiological organ in your chest. It usually is used in analogy to the cycling of God’s Word through your soul. In order to better understand the heart of your soul, (which we also call the right lobe of your soul), and the detrimental effects of it being hardened or calloused, we need to understand the heart a little better.
Some facts about the physical heart, in analogy to the spiritual heart of your soul:
The heart is an intricately woven muscle, which by rhythmic contraction circulates blood throughout your body. Your heart beats 101,000 times a day and about 35 million times in a year. During your lifetime, it will beat about 3 billion times. In regards to the heart of your soul, it is capable of receiving and sending God’s Word throughout your soul thousands of times in a day and billions of times in your life.
Your body has about 6 quarts of blood circulating through the heart and body three times every minute. In one day, the blood travels a total of 12,000 miles, which is roughly four times the distance across the U.S. from coast to coast. It is estimated that the heart pumps seventy-five gallons an hour, and 2,000 gallons a day, and about 1 million barrels in seventy years; that is enough to fill more than two super tankers. Likewise, the heart of your soul is capable of pumping innumerable amounts of Bible doctrine throughout your soul.
The heart’s anatomy and relation to the circulatory system includes a double pump: two atriums and two ventricles. The ventricles have a four ounce volume and the atria a five ounce volume. The thick muscular walls of the ventricles are primarily responsible to pump the blood. Used blood is low in oxygen and high in CO2. To be cleansed, the used blood enters the right atrium through the superior and inferior vena cava. Used blood is like false ideas we pick up in life that need to be cleansed and enriched by God’s Word resident in your soul.
The right ventricle pumps blood through the pulmonary artery to the lungs where it discharges CO2 and picks up oxygen from the alveoli. Then the blood travels through the pulmonary veins to the left atrium, which in turn pumps the oxygen refreshed blood out through the aorta to the entire body. This is a great analogy for metabolized Bible doctrine in your soul. It is pumped through various valves in your soul and circulates through the brain, giving you a dynamic mental attitude. Likewise, the CO2 of the soul, i.e., all the false and erroneous ideas we have learned from Satan’s cosmic system, must be replaced by the oxygen of Bible doctrine. All of that is accomplished in the heart or right lobe of your soul.
The function of the blood is to bath tissues with fluid, preserving their slight alkaline condition, supplying tissues with food and oxygen, to provide building material for their growth and repair, distribute heat generated by cells and equalize body temperature, carry hormones which coordinate and stimulate the activities of various organs, and convey antibodies and white blood cells which fight infection. Blood cannot support life unless it keeps circulating, and the energy used by the heart is fantastic. This is another wonderful analogy to Bible doctrine circulating in the heart of your soul as a result of the function of GAP that provides these analogous functions to your soul.
If blood flow is cut off to the brain, the person loses consciousness in three to five seconds; after fifteen to twenty seconds, the body twitches convulsively; if more than nine minutes, the mental powers of the brain are irrevocably destroyed. The muscles of the heart can only survive loss of blood flow for thirty minutes. These facts emphasize the vital importance of the heart to our life. Likewise, we need to continually supply our souls with God’s Word. If we stop taking in Bible Doctrine we will lose consciousness of our spiritual life, as noted in Eph 4:19, “having become callous,” that actually should read, “having lost feeling,” in regards to the spiritual life.
The “Hardness of the Heart,” (KARDIA, the right lobe), is the seventh and next to last stage of reversionism, as noted above. It is coterminous with and the result of Blackout of the Soul, the attack upon the left lobe. While blackout of the soul affects the left lobe or NOUS by the infiltration of satanic doctrine, “Hardness of the Heart” and/or “Scar Tissue of the Soul,” affects the right lobe. It is the final attack that leads to reverse process reversionism.
In the “Hardness of the Heart,” all of the valves of the right lobe freeze up and shut down so that Bible doctrine no longer circulates in the soul, just as when arteries are hardened due to the buildup of calcium and plaque, the blood stops flowing through the body. When this occurs, Bible doctrine in the right lobe is no longer operative and is no longer applicable to life.
As result of the “Hardening of the Heart,” scar tissue accumulates resulting in the function of the vacuum, MATAIOTES, to suck more false doctrine into the left lobe, which in turn, increases the pressure on the right lobe. When the effects of Blackout of the left lobe reach the right lobe, all of the valves of the soul that produce Divine viewpoint, Divine thinking, and Divine good, freeze up and shut down. This means that there is no longer any vocabulary functioning, the categories of doctrine in your soul dry up first, norms and standards change, there is no longer any Divine viewpoint in the launching pad, and no way of recalling or calling upon the frame of reference for applying God’s Word to your life. Likewise, no more Bible doctrine is fed into the vocabulary and categorical storage areas providing no new doctrine for future application. The conscience begins to change, and there is no doctrine on the launching pad. Therefore, Bible doctrine no longer flows back and forth and, as it were, all doctrinal function of the right lobe freezes. This is the prelude to the Sin Unto Death.
All of this is why we have been given this warning in Eph 4:17-19, not to fall back to our former manner of life when we were unbelievers and had no Bible doctrine circulating through our souls. Just as it is disastrous for the human body when the heart stops pumping blood throughout the body leading to physical death, for the believer, it is disastrous to hinder or stop the flow of God’s Word through your soul because it will lead to Divine discipline including the third stage called the Sin Unto Death.