1.) The fact of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the Church Age is presented in 1 Cor 3:16; 6:19-20.
2.) The prophecy of the indwelling of the Spirit in the Church Age is found in John 7:37-39; 14:16-17, 26.
3.) No believers were indwelt by the Holy Spirit in other dispensations, but all believers are indwelt with the Holy Spirit in the Church Age. The ministry of the Holy Spirit in other dispensations was technically the enduement of the Holy Spirit. For example, David said, “Take not Your Spirit from me,” Psa 51:11.
4.) The Holy Spirit indwells the body of the Church Age believer at the moment of salvation, Rom 8:11; Gal 3:2-3; 4:6.
5.) The indwelling of the Holy Spirit is also called “anointing,” CHRISMA – χρῖσμα in 1 John 2:20, 27. This term is used emblematically of the Divine Spirit descending and abiding upon the believer as sent by God.
6.) The purpose of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is to provide a temple in the body of every Church Age believer for the indwelling of Jesus Christ as the Shekinah Glory and the indwelling of God the Father, John 14:16; Rom 8:9-11; 2 Cor 6:16; Eph 4:6; 2 John 9.
7.) The Holy Spirit also indwells the body of the believer, because the Old Sin Nature lives in the body of the believer. In the life of every believer, human ability must be superseded by Divine ability. Therefore, the dynamics of the Holy Spirit are clearly important so that the believer can execute and fulfill God’s Plan for their lives, Gal 5:16-18; cf. 1 Cor 3:10-15.
8.) Indwelling of the Holy Spirit sets the stage for 6 ministries the Spirit performs for the Church Age believer.
- The Baptism of the Holy Spirit: Identifying you as a member of the Royal Family of God, Acts 1:1-8, “5for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” Cf. 1 Thes 4:8; Titus 5:3-7.
- The Sealing of the Holy Spirit: He seals us and is our pledge of eternal life and inheritance, Eph 1:13-14.
- The Gifting of the Holy Spirit: He gives each believer a spiritual gift at salvation, 1 Cor 12:4, 9; Heb 2:4.
- The Teaching Ministry of the Holy Spirit: We learn God’s Word by means of the Grace Apparatus for Perception (GAP), which is the teaching ministry of the Holy Spirit, John 14:26; 16:12-15; 1 Cor 2:9-16; 1 John 2:27, that is also part of His Common Grace ministry. This is:
a) The comprehension of Bible doctrine when taught.
b) The cycling of Bible doctrine, storing and retaining God’s Word within your soul.
c) The building of your Edification Complex of the Soul (ECS) with doctrine.
d) The application or exhaling of Bible doctrine from your soul.
e) The believer functioning under the super-grace life in doctrine.
- The Praying Ministry of the Holy Spirit: He intercedes in our prayer life, Rom 8:26.
- The Filling of the Holy Spirit. This is another important topic which is unique to the Church Age and part of the ministry of the Holy Spirit to the Church Age believer. The Filling of God the Holy Spirit is the operational ministry of the Holy Spirit for empowerment and enablement of the Church Age believer to execute God’s Plan for their life. Through the Filling of the Spirit, we are empowered and enabled to execute the unique spiritual life of the Church Age believer, Eph 5:18; cf. Eph 4:30; 1 Thes 5:16-22.
9.) The indwelling of the Holy Spirit must be distinguished from the indwelling of Christ. In the Church Age, every believer is indwelt by Jesus Christ, and every believer is indwelt by God the Holy Spirit.
- Jesus Christ indwells the believer for the purpose of fellowship, Rom 8:10; 2 Cor 13:5. Maximum fellowship with the Lord Jesus Christ comes through the Edification Complex of the Soul (ECS) and the super-grace life, Eph 3:17-19.
- The Holy Spirit indwells the believer for the purpose of function. He makes the Christian life function in the believer’s life.
10.) The Holy Spirit indwells the body of every believer, but only controls the soul of the believer, under the title “filling of the Holy Spirit” or “walking in the Spirit,” Gal 5:1, 16, 25. Therefore, the “indwelling” of the Holy Spirit must be distinguished from the “filling” of the Spirit.
- The indwelling occurs at the point of salvation and never changes.
- Filling is commanded,Eph 5:18, and lost through carnality, Eph 4:30.
- Whether the believer loses the filling of the Spirit or not, he never loses the indwelling.
- If the filling of the Spirit is lost due to sinning, which also results in loss of fellowship with God, it is regained through the confession of your sins to God the Father,1 John 1:5-9.
11.) The universal indwelling of the Spirit is necessary because of the intensification of the angelic conflict, John 7:37-39.