At the beginning of the believer’s spiritual life, he is ignorant of the thoughts of God. That is why the Grace Apparatus for Perception (GAP) was given to us. If a believer is consistently distracted, indifferent, or negative towards God’s Word, he will remain in a state of ignorance regarding God’s thoughts.
Learning the mind of Christ calls for two categories of faith: Faith perception and faith application which are part of the three stages of the Faith-Rest Drill. When you learn Bible doctrine, faith perception applies. When you utilize doctrinal rationales and come to doctrinal conclusions (the second and third stages of the faith-rest drill), faith application applies.
To go from ignorance to cognizance of Bible doctrine begins with what is called GNOSIS – γνῶσις (gno’-sis) knowledge in the Greek. GNOSIS is achieved through teaching from the pulpit that is heard and understood in your NOUS – νοῦς (nooce), (the Greek word for “mind” or the “left lobe of the soul”). GNOSIS is knowledge of Bible doctrine, which resides is in the left lobe and cannot be applied or used in spiritual growth yet. GNOSIS must be transferred to the right lobe as EPIGNOSIS – ἐπίγνωσις (ep-ig’-no-sis) – (the Greek word for “full knowledge” or “wisdom,” doctrine in the right lobe of the soul), in order for you to grow in the spiritual life. This is accomplished through faith perception or being positive to the doctrine taught.
When a person understands something but does not believe it, that is called negative faith perception. When a person understands and believes, that is being positive at faith perception. When GNOSIS is converted to EPIGNOSIS, you have formed categorical knowledge of God’s Word, and you can now apply that knowledge into doctrinal rationales for faith application. As a result, spiritual growth occurs.
There are Three Primary Systems of Perception in Life:
Rationalism relies on reason as the source of knowledge, claiming that reason is superior to and independent of any sensory perception. It believes that reality is what you think. Rationalism subjects Bible doctrine and Scriptural interpretation to the test of human reason. Therefore, rationalism always rejects dogmatic authority.
Empiricism is the scientific system of learning by observation and experimentation. Empiricism holds that reality lies in the function of your sensory system relaying information to the brain.
Both of these systems are dependent upon human I.Q. Therefore, if God made either one the criteria for learning His Word, He would be arbitrary and unfair, which is impossible.
Faith is a system of learning by accepting the authority of the criterion. Faith is learning by accepting words as vocabulary, or by accepting the authority of the one teaching. Faith is a non‑meritorious system of thinking. Therefore, faith is the only system God could use to be consistent with His policy of grace toward the human race. The validity of faith depends on the object of faith. Heb 11:1 calls faith, “the reality of the unseen.”
The application of Bible doctrine to experience (reverse concentration) is faith application in contrast to faith perception.
Faith perception converts GNOSIS doctrine into EPIGNOSIS doctrine. Faith application is the second stage of the faith-rest drill, in which The Word is applied to circumstances by reversing our focus away from the problem or issue and onto Bible Doctrine. This is the difference between having the mind of Christ and having the mind of the flesh, the difference between Divine viewpoint and human viewpoint.
The Three stages in the Faith-Rest Drill are:
Stage One – Claiming a promise from God, which is the means of reverse concentration away from the problem or situation and onto the Word of God. This will stabilize the mentality of your soul for calm and organized thinking.
Stage Two – Applying the promise(s) of God to the situation with the result of arriving at a Biblical rationale in regards to the situation. This is the dynamics of reverse concentration gained from claiming a promise of God.
Stage Three – Reaching a Biblical conclusion, which is the result of reverse concentration. This is the doctrine and mode of operation you will apply in faith to the problem or situation.
The dynamics of the faith-rest drill depend on the second stage of the faith-rest drill. Claiming promises is the means to the end, but is not the end. The ultimate is the second stage of the faith-rest drill or reverse concentration, which is the application of doctrinal rationales to one’s environment and circumstances.
The first stage of the faith-rest drill, claiming promises, can only stabilize the believer for the dynamics of applying doctrinal rationales in the second stage. The real issue of the faith-rest drill is reverse concentration. Claiming promises will not apply doctrine to the situation. Therefore, without reverse concentration, the believer cannot utilize EPIGNOSIS doctrine. The believer must learn to think in terms of Divine viewpoint.
The Mechanics of GAP:
Stage One is the communication of Bible doctrine from your right Pastor-Teacher primarily via face to face.
The congregation is placed under a system of spiritual humility for perception and reception of Bible doctrine. Spiritual humility requires the filling of the Holy Spirit and the existence of humility, whether organized (in the local church), enforced (by the authority of the Pastor), or genuine (from your own positive reception of doctrine).
The believer must be motivated through their Personal love for God the Father, which results in positive volition to hear His Word. (When you lose your motivation, you lose your spiritual growth.) This leads to concentration and self-discipline. Therefore, learning the Rebound rationale and applying it while listening to Bible teaching is very important.
Stage One begins with the pastor communicating doctrine using the I.C.E. procedure.
“I” stands for ISAGOGICS, which is the interpretation of the Bible within the framework of its historical setting.
“C” stands for the categorical communication of doctrine, which fulfills the hermeneutical principle of comparing scripture to scripture to determine the classification of doctrine.
“E” stands for the exegetical communication of doctrine, which is the analysis of each verse in its context to determine the exact meaning of that verse in its relationship to the context as a whole, analyzing grammar, syntax, and etymology.
Stage Two is operation GNOSIS, in which you understand what you hear and comprehend; it in the left lobe (NOUS) of your soul.
The function of receptive comprehension means that under the ministry of the Spirit and with enough Frame of Reference, you actually understand the doctrine being taught. This is made possible under a system of enforced humility. When you understand what you have been taught, the doctrine goes to the left lobe of your soul.
The believer comes to Biblical teaching in ignorance. The objective is to turn ignorance into cognizance. If ignorance persists, it is because the believer is negative toward the doctrine being taught. If he is negative in attending class, it is because he is involved in the Cosmic System.
Other reasons for ignorance include lack of a Frame of Reference, sporadic exposure to doctrine, distractions from the pleasures of life, and an erroneous scale of values, all of which perpetuate arrogance, discipline, and failure.
Apart from the ignorance factor, a believer under the ministry of the Holy Spirit can and does learn doctrine from his right Pastor-Teacher. Once the believer understands doctrine under the principle of receptive comprehension, it is called GNOSIS and resides in his left lobe. GNOSIS information cannot yet result in spiritual growth nor can it be applied to experience. GNOSIS doctrine is waiting for the believer’s faith to convert it into EPIGNOSIS. In the GNOSIS stage, it is doctrinal thought still in the staging area. GNOSIS is fat; EPIGNOSIS is muscle.
Stage Three is the function of Faith-Perception.
When you believe (apply faith to) what you have been taught, God’s Word is cycled from your NOUS / left lobe to your human spirit.
There are two kinds of faith: Faith-Perception and Faith Application. Both are related to the Plan of God.
Faith-perception is used in learning Bible doctrine and converting GNOSIS into EPIGNOSIS.
Then faith-application can use EPIGNOSIS doctrine in application to life.
In Stage Three, GNOSIS is converted to EPIGNOSIS through the function of faith-perception. The mechanics involve volition and faith. At this time, the Word is transferred from your left lobe to your human spirit.
There are two possibilities: “I understand what you are saying, but I don’t believe it,” or “I understand and I do believe it.”
- This stage is critical to fulfilling the Plan of God for your life, because only EPIGNOSIS doctrine can be used in application, causing your advance to Spiritual Maturity.
- The Faith-Rest Drill has no muscle without EPIGNOSIS
- Faith is non‑meritorious; therefore, it is a grace system of perception and does not depend on your human I.Q.
Col 1:3-14, “We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, 4since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have for all the saints; 5because of the hope laid up for you in heaven, of which you previously heard in the word of truth, the gospel 6which has come to you, just as in all the world also it is constantly bearing fruit and increasing, even as it has been doing in you also since the day you heard of it and understood the grace of God in truth; 7just as you learned it from Epaphras, our beloved fellow bond-servant, who is a faithful servant of Christ on our behalf, 8and he also informed us of your love in the Spirit. 9For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, 10so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; 11strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously 12giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light. 13For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, 14in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.”
Stage Four is the function of Faith-Application.
As a result of Faith-Perception, the doctrine cycled to your Human Spirit is then transferred to the right lobe of your soul (the heart), called KARDIA – καρδία (kar-dee’-ah) in the Greek, where it is applied to life.
1 Cor 2:13, “Which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual (Divine Viewpoint) with spiritual (our Human Spirit).”
Faith-Application is reverse concentration or the second stage of the Faith‑Rest Drill. Faith-Application converts EPIGNOSIS doctrine into experience. EPIGNOSIS doctrine consists of the doctrinal rationales.
The believer with GNOSIS doctrine in the soul is only capable of anthropocentric thinking (Human viewpoint). EPIGNOSIS doctrine is the only Divine viewpoint that can be applied to life. Claiming promises through faith is not the end; it is not a panacea. It is merely a stabilizer for thinking.
In Stage Three of the Faith-Rest Drill, you come to Doctrinal Conclusions and have gained control of the situation. Doctrine is more real to you than anything else in life.
We have studied the right lobe in the past, and noted its different compartments using the analogy of a filing cabinet in your soul for the storage and retrieval of God’s Word.
The Heart has Six Compartments Including:
- The Frame of Reference is where EPIGNOSIS doctrine becomes the foundation for learning more advanced doctrine. Prov 4:4; 1 Cor 2:9
- The Memory Center is the storage center for EPIGNOSIS in a manner that brings into focus what is pertinent to a given situation. Psa 119:16; 109; 2 Cor 10:4‑6
- The Vocabulary Storage is where technical identification of EPIGNOSIS doctrine is stored. Jer 15:16; Deut 8:3
- The Categorical Storage is where individual doctrines are formed into larger categories for rationales in application to life. Prov 2:2, 10; 3:3; 15:14‑15; 18:15
- The Conscience is where EPIGNOSIS doctrine forms new standards for life. Acts 24:16; Rom 2:14‑15; 9:1; 13:5; 1 Cor 8:7; 2 Cor 4:2; 5:11; Titus 1:15; Heb 9:14
- The Launching Pad is used for application of EPIGNOSIS doctrine to life, which is the function of reverse concentration. 1 Cor 1:30; 2:7-8; James 3:17; Phil 4:8.
The Heart of Your Soul Performs a Number of Functions:
- It sets up a system for using basic doctrines as the means for learning advanced doctrines.
- It sets up a red alert section of the soul to detect false doctrine.
- It uses EPIGNOSIS doctrine for dealing with problems of the subconscious and guilt complex.
- It uses EPIGNOSIS doctrine for effective communication of ideas in conversation, witnessing, and public speaking.
- It provides capacity for life, love, and happiness.
- It raises the believer’s spiritual I.Q., and motivates general learning and understanding of life.
Stage Five is spiritual growth in the fulfillment of the Plan of God. Only EPIGNOSIS doctrine results in Spiritual growth and Occupation with the Person of Christ.
Human I.Q. is Not an Issue in the Function of GAP:
GAP is a grace system for perception, Col 1:9‑10; 1 Cor 3:16; 1 Thes 5:23; 1 Cor 1:19‑2:16.
God’s Grace Provision for the Perception of Bible Doctrine Includes:
- God has provided the mechanics of inspiration for the formation and preservation of the Canon of Scripture. 2 Tim 3:16-17
- God provides the omnipotence of God the Holy Spirit inside Gods Power System (GPS) enabling us to understand the mechanics for the execution of the Plan of God for our lives. John 14:26
- God provides the Divine plan for the Church, the protocol plan of God for the royal family of God. James 2:8; Rom 15:13-14
- God provides a right pastor-teacher for every member of the royal family who is positive to doctrine. There is no such thing as a self-made Christian. You must learn from someone else. 1 Peter 5:1-3
- God provides the privacy of the royal priesthood for the perception of mystery doctrine. Every believer is given a royal priesthood for the purpose of freedom and privacy. Bible doctrine in your soul is your altar. 1 Peter 2:5, 9; cf. Heb 13:10
- Logistical grace support, by which every member of the royal family is kept alive for equal privilege and equal opportunity, to execute God’s plan. Logistical grace includes the provision of your body, clothes, food, shelter, transportation, and other necessities of life. Psa 23:1-6; Mat 6:25‑34; 2 Cor 9:8; 12:9; Phil 4:19; 2 Peter 3:18
- God provides spiritual freedom, in contrast to human freedom. Spiritual freedom exists only within God’s Power System. John 8:32; Gal 5:1
Human freedom is for the entire human race through the laws of Divine Establishment.
Gal 5:1, “It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.”
- God provides the local church as the classroom for the Royal Family to learn His Word. Worship is academic, not emotional. You must know God’s system to function under His system. God always raises up local churches where pastors are faithful in the teaching of the Word of God.
- God provides human volition as the means of transferring Bible Doctrine from the left lobe to the right lobe of the soul.
There is no substitute for the function of GAP. Job 32:1‑9
Primary Result of the Grace Apparatus for Perception: Spiritual maturity, resulting in glorifying God as part of the tactical victory in the Angelic Conflict.
Synonyms for the Grace Apparatus for Perception found in the Bible:
- Epignosis: Full knowledge – Language synonym.
- More Grace – Super Grace: Spiritual Maturity – Theological synonym. James 4:6
- Altar of the Soul – Priestly synonym. Heb 13:9-10
- Edification Complex of the Soul (E.C.S.) – Building synonym. Eph 4:12-16
- Redeeming of Time – Time synonym. Eph 5:16-18; Col 4:5
- Strength in the Lord – Power synonym. Eph 6:10
- Putting on the Whole Armor of God (Eph 6:11-17); Following the colors to the high ground (Heb 12:1-2– race = AGON – ἀγών (ag-one’), the games or a battle); Establish a command post of the soul (Col 2:5-8) – Military synonyms.
- Take Up Your Cross and Follow Me – Crucifixion synonym. Mat 16:24; Luke 9:23
- Salt Seasoned (sodium chloride, salt = G.A.P.) – Chemical synonym. Col 4:6
- Godliness – Sanctification synonym. 1Tim 6:3-6, 2 Peter 1:3
Other Results of the Grace Apparatus for Perception Include:
- Reversion recovery.
- Glorification of God in the Angelic Conflict.
- Equates the royal status of the believer with his priesthood.
- Leads to maturity and Super Grace (maturity).
- Leads to occupation with Christ and other capacities for life.
- Provides maximum influence in history.
- Provides the basis for legitimate production or service (Divine good).
- Becomes the basis for eternal rewards.