Blessing by Association
“Blessing by Association” is the overflow of Divine grace blessings given to the spiritually mature believer by God, through His Grace Pipeline, to those who associate with the believer being blessed by God. Most every mature believer has people associated with them, some believers and some unbelievers. Due to the simple fact that those people are associated with the mature believer who is being blessed by God, they too receive a portion of those blessings just because of being in close proximity to the mature believer. As a result, they receive some of the overflow of the outpouring of escrow blessings to the mature believer.
Heb 6:7, “For ground that drinks the rain which often falls on it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God.” Cf. Luke 6:38
Prov 8:18. “Riches and honor are with Me, enduring wealth and virtue-righteousness.”
Psa 23:5 6, “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; my cup (of blessings) overflows. 6Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life (escrow blessings for time), and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever (escrow blessing for eternity).”
As a result of their association with the positive mature believer, they receive the “overflow” of those blessings.
Those who receive “blessings by association” do not earn or deserve these blessings. But through the simple fact of associating with a positive believer, they receive blessings too. Just as all believers receive salvation and eternal life with an eternal inheritance because of our identification with the Lord Jesus Christ and His saving work upon the Cross, Eph 1:11-14, 18; Col 1:12; 3:24; Heb 9:15; 1 Peter 1:3-4.
Blessings by association is also one of the reasons why the wicked seem to prosper, especially when God is blessing the nation that they live in.
The source of blessing by association is God, who directs the blessings of the positive believer to the person(s) in association with that believer. In addition, there are “indirect blessing” from God, where the positive believer provides blessings from his own prosperity to others in giving and benevolence, in fulfillment of Rom 12:13, “contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.” The wise and righteous believer gives to others his time, talent, treasure, success, love, etc., or whatever the category of his prosperity might be.
Those Who Benefit from Blessing by Association:
- In our passage of Proverbs 13:22, we see that our children and grandchildren can benefit from the blessings God provides to us. Likewise, our entire family can benefit: wife, husband, mother, father, etc.
- Your local assembly can benefit by the blessings God bestows on you, as you look to serve your church and those within your church.
- Those you have contact with professionally including: your school system, coaches, teachers, students, administrators; hospital system; business associates; military organization; or any service organization.
- Any business association you have including: partnerships, corporations, an investor, your management or subordinates.
- Those you have contact with socially including, friends. And as Prov 13:20 warns us, be careful that you do not associate with the wrong crowd and get led astray. You will find your true friends among like-minded believers. Stick with them. Do not consistently associate with unbelievers, because they are going in a different direction than you are.
- Those you have contact with geographically including: your neighborhood, city, county, state, or nation. This is the Pivot analogy of blessing by association.
As Prov 13:22 tells us, there is a heritage factor of blessing by association. That is, when the positive / mature believer dies, he is still a blessing by association to those left behind after his death. Those left behind may be taken care of throughout their lifetime by God with the blessings he provided to the positive believer, even if they are antagonistic to Bible doctrine or are unbelievers, because God continues to bless the bereaved loved ones, friends, and relatives.
Rom 12:14-21, tells us that our enemies are blessed by association with the mature believer, as he exercises objectivity and impersonal love in the Christian way of life, “Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.”